EFFECTIVE AS OF MAY 25, 2018
Your privacy is a priority for United Way Worldwide (https://conferences.unitedway.org) (sometimes referred to as “UWW”, “us”, or “we”) and we want you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose information relating to you, your computer, or your device and that enable your identification (the “Personal Information”). This Privacy Statement describes our practices with information that we (or our service providers) collect from a user (sometimes referred to as “you” or “your”) through our Learning and Conferencing Website located at conferences.unitedway.org (collectively, the “Site”). This Privacy Statement only addresses information collected directly through or from our Site – it does not address or govern any information-gathering, use, or dissemination practices related to information collected from you other than directly through or from the Site, such as from telephone, facsimile, postal mail, personal delivery, or other or additional offline means or media.
UWW can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM USERS
When you interact with us through the Site, we may collect information from you as described below.
a. Information You Provide
Some elements of the Site may ask you to submit Personal Information in order for you to benefit from the specified features or participate in a certain activity, such as newsletter subscriptions, completion of surveys, or event registration. For example, if you register for an event on the Site, we may request Personal Information such as your name and contact information. If you register for a paid event, product or service, we will collect your credit or debit card or other financial account information. When you perform a search within the Site, UWW may record information identifying you or linking you to the search performed and recording information related to the search request. When you register for an event, product or service, we may ask for an email address or mobile phone number to contact you regarding event-related activities and opportunities. If you are an employee of or otherwise associated with a United Way entity when registering for an event, we may ask you to provide information regarding your association with United Way, such as the United Way with which you are affiliated, how long you have been associated with the United Way, and your job level. We may combine information you submit through the Site with other information we have collected from you, whether on-line or off-line. We treat the combined information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
b. Sensitive Information
Unless we specifically request or invite it, we ask that you not send or otherwise disclose to us your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background, or trade union membership. In those cases where we may request or invite you to provide the foregoing information, we will only do so with your express consent, in accordance with applicable data protection law requirements. Where you provide us with such information without request from UWW, we reserve the right (but do not have any obligation) to erase any such information at our discretion.
c. Information About Minors
The Site is not intended for persons under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from persons in this age group. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by such persons at our discretion.
d. Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices
As you navigate the Site, certain Personal Information may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered without your actively providing it. This is done using the following techniques in the following ways:
- IP Addresses: An IP address is a unique identifier that certain electronic devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. When you visit our Site, we may view the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what geographic regions our website visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance our Site.
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, and Internet browser type and version.
- Social Media Widgets: Our Site may include social media tools, including social media widgets or plug-ins, to connect you to your social media accounts. These features may set a cookie or use other automatic collection and tracking technologies to collect information about you and your use of the social media features through and in connection with our Site. These social media tools may be hosted by a third party. Your interactions with these tools and the corresponding social media platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide such platforms.
You can visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout for information on how to opt out of Google Analytics cookies.
Our Site currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operates as described in this Privacy Statement whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
2. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use Personal Information submitted by you or otherwise collected through the Site and through other sources for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection. Generally, we use the information you provide to us for the reason for which it was provided. For example, if you sign up to receive email notifications, we will contact you by email. If you provide us with information to attend an event or conference, we will use the information to process your reservation. Specifically, we may use Personal Information from or about you:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you information that you request;
- to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and other administrative information;
- if you provide Personal Information in order to obtain access to or use the functionality of part of the Site, we will use your Personal Information to provide you with access to and use of that functionality, including to evaluate your qualifications to use such functionality;
- if you choose to complete a survey, we may use the information for purposes of evaluating your feedback from the survey;
- if you register for an event, we may use your Personal Information to contact you and send you information relating to the event, including by email. If it is a paid event, we may process your credit card or other account information for payment purposes;
- where it is in accordance with your preferences, we may use Personal Information to notify you about upcoming events and conference opportunities;
- if you subscribe to receive promotional communications, we may use Personal Information to promote our products and services, and the products and services of our affiliates;
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, recordkeeping, developing new products or services, enhancing the Site, improving our services, identifying Site usage trends, optimizing your experience on the Site; and
- if we intend to collect and use Personal Information for another purpose, we may seek your permission at the time the information is collected.
We may use any information that does not personally identify you, your computer, or your device, for any purpose.
3. OUR DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION.
UWW does not sell your Personal Information. We may share your Personal Information with third parties only as described in this Privacy Statement or as otherwise described at the point where we collect the information from you, including:
- to our affiliates and other United Way organizations for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement;
- to the companies or individuals that we hire to provide services to us, such as website hosting services and payment processing; and
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
4. USES AND DISCLOSURES TO COMPLY WITH LAWS.
In addition, we use and disclose Personal Information collected through the Site as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (i) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (ii) to comply with legal process; (iii) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (iv) to enforce our terms and conditions; (v) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (vi) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (vii) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
5. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES.
6. WHERE YOUR INFORMATION IS PROCESSED.
UWW is based in the United States. No matter where you are located, your Personal Information will be collected and processed in the United States. The laws of the United States and other countries governing data protection may not be as comprehensive or as protective as the laws in the country where you live.
UWW will take reasonable steps to protect the information collected and provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, you should understand that no transmission over the Internet is ever fully secure. Also, UWW uses reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is generally available. However, there will be occasions when access to the Site will be interrupted or unavailable. UWW will use reasonable efforts to minimize such disruption where it is within its reasonable control. You agree that UWW shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site.
8. DATA RETENTION
We generally retain Personal Information for so long as it may be relevant for the purposes identified in this Privacy Statement, unless a longer period of time is required by law.
9. LAWFUL BASES FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
The laws in some countries require us to tell you about the lawful grounds we rely on to collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process your Personal Information. To the extent those laws apply, our lawful bases for processing your Personal Information are:
- In support of our legitimate interests, where those interests are not overridden by your fundamental rights and freedoms: In many cases, we handle Personal Information such as your name, contact information, and relevant professional information because it furthers our legitimate business and charitable interests. This includes:
- Providing a safe user experience on our Site;
- Customer service;
- Sending communications to you to advise you on conference or event registrations;
- Analyzing and improving our operations (e.g., optimizing the design and operation of our Site); and
- Managing legal issues.
- To enter into and perform a contract with you: We may process Personal Information such as your name, contact information, and relevant professional information, to meet our contractual obligations to you, or to take steps in anticipation of entering into a contract. For example, if you register for a conference or an event, we may use your Personal Information to create records of your attendance and to facilitate any necessary accreditation.
This Privacy Statement is issued on behalf of United Way Worldwide as controller of your Personal Information under applicable data protection laws. A “controller” is the person or organization who alone or jointly determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any Personal Information is, or is likely to be, processed.
10. YOUR DATA RIGHTS AND CHOICES.
Event registrants can update their Personal Information on the Site by clicking on https://conferences.unitedway.org and navigating to the applicable event. You can unsubscribe from certain emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link they contain. You can opt-out of the use of certain cookie-related processing by following the instructions in Section 1(d) above (Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices).
If you are within the European Union, you have the following rights:
- You have the right to request from UWW access to your personal data, and the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you.
- You have the right to obtain from UWW the erasure or the restriction of processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, including when the data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed, except when UWW is required by law to maintain or otherwise process your personal data, for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, or for the protection of the rights of another person.
You may exercise these rights by contacting UWW using the contact information provided above.
If you are within the European Union, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the EU Member State of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of an alleged infringement of the applicable data protection law. However, we encourage you to contact us first at email@example.com and we will try to resolve your concerns.
If you would like to submit a data access, correction, restriction, or deletion request, you can do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org we will process such request with respect to any Personal Information that we are able to link to you individually based on the information that you can provide to us. These rights and options that you have with respect to Personal Information are subject to limitations and exceptions under applicable law.
11. RIGHT TO CHANGE PRIVACY STATEMENT.
UWW reserves the right at any time to modify, alter, or update this Privacy Statement. Your use of the Site following any changes means that you agree to follow and be bound by the Privacy Statement as changed, subject to limitations under applicable law. Any change to this Privacy Statement shall be effective as to any user who has visited the Site before the change was made. Please review this policy periodically, and especially before you provide any Personal Information to us. The Privacy Statement was last updated on the date indicated above.
12. CONTACTING US.
For questions about this website, please contact us at email@example.com
For questions about privacy or handling of your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact us by mail:
United Way Worldwide
701 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Attn: General Counsel
Tel: 800-892-2757 or Tel: 703-836-7112